Friday, 20 April 2012

Celebration Plum Cake


This is one of my favourite Stephanie Alexander cakes to make and it always makes an appearance around this time of year, there seems to be lots of birthdays and celebrations and this is a perfect cake to use up any overripe plums you have hanging around.


Ingredients
180g softened butter
150g castor sugar
135g plain flour
135g self raising flour
pinch of salt
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
70ml milk
1/2 cup ground almonds
10 ripe plums, halved and stoned
topping
60g butter
1/2 cup castor sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 large eggs


Method
Preheat oven to 180 degrees and lightly grease a 26 cm spring-form tin.
To make the topping, melt butter and stir in sugar and cinnamon, then allow to cool. Whisk eggs well and stir into cooled mixture.



Cream butter and sugar in an electric mixer until pale and fluffy, then mix in flours and salt.



Mix eggs with milk, then add to flour mixture and mix to make a softish dough. {it should drop easily from the spoon}.


Spoon batter into prepared tin {it should not fill more than a quarter of the depth, as the cake rises a great deal}. Smooth over top and sprinkle with ground almonds.


Arrange plums on top, cut side up, starting around the outside edge and working towards the center. Spoon topping over and around plums on cake.


Bake for 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Serve warm with cream or ice-cream for extra indulgence or simply on its own with a good cuppa.

Enjoy!

Thank you for all your support , kind comments and messages for my little blogs birthday this week. Feeling the love.

You can enter my giveaways hereherehere and here if you feel like it.

Happy weekend lovelies!

x jody

11 comments:

  1. I have never had plums in a cake! Riley is a very serious baker isn't he?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummm! Riley looks like a great little helper :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh I do love a cake and plum combo. It's always fun having little helpers on hand too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ok, you rock, seriously rock..... I have this book, and after seeing your instagram image, I have come for a stalk! Woo hoo to stephanie.... and you showing me plum cake. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooo yum yum yum! What a great recipe Jody, I've never actually baked anything with plums... and I haven't come across too many recipes for plums either. Thanks for sharing xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummy! I must dig out my Stephanie book and make this... perfect for this weather!
    I love your photos too - and the concentration on R's face as he cooks... so sweet. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just love pretty desserts, this looks amazing and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yummo Jody! Another good one. I just love Stephanie Alexander, her book is one of only 2 I keep in the kitchen at all times.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We made this cake for the first time this year. It was excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  11. looks delish. I have never tried any of Step A's recipes. Will have to look into changing that!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by, i love hearing from every one of you! xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...